Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Mystery Quilt-Along Step 1

From all your comments, emails and PM's, it looks like we're going to have one heck of a ginormous, virtual quilt-along party!!!

Are you ready to start Step 1 of the Mystery Quilt-Along?

Okay ladies...and gents are welcome too...start your engines machines because I'm ready if you are but just a word before we start.  

Please let me say that this is NOT a race and there are NO deadlines.  Nor will there be a checkered flag at the end.  

If you don't finish each step before I give you the next one, it's NO BIG DEAL!!! 

You will be able to access the files for all the steps here on my blog for as long as I keep blogging and believe me, I have no intention of stopping any time soon!

Just to let you know, I did make one change to the original layout.  

I removed one row after realizing that if I left it at five rows, it would have resulted in a disproportionate quilt that it would have been too narrow for the length.  I like it much better this way and I'm sure I'll find some use for the fifth row.  I might even incorporate it as part of the backing.



So without further ado, let's get started!


To access the PDF file which includes the instructions, layout and photo, please click HERE.

We'll see you next week with Step 2...if I get it finished on time.  Remember, there's not going to be any strict schedule.  Let's just HAVE FUN!!!



Happy stitching!

18 comments:

martine said...

A chance to use my scraps. I'll join the Mysterie quilt-along. Thanks for writing the pattern.

Jeanna said...

I'm looking forward to this, Kaaren. I have two themed projects in mind. Can't wait to get started.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this opportunity....looking forward to the creativity and fun!!!

Bev said...

Thanks for doing this! You are generous and talented! Can't wait!

linynp said...

Thank you!!!!!!!!

Carli The Quilter said...

Wonderful, you've posted already! Well, this is going to be fun. I'm just writing a post on my blog, Good Earth Quilting from BC that I'm joining up and wanted others to share in your successes and quilt alongs. Wow, you've got a tonne of free stuff on your blog, I told everyone about that too. But one question, can I temporarily post the photo you have of the house quilt to promote your work?

margaret said...

this is going to be fun to do that is if I can work out how to do the blocks!!

Sheila said...

Thanks Kaaren , looking forward to the fun and using up some scraps :-)

Rosa said...

Thanks!

Mary said...

I cut up a bunch of Scraps that I was going through and made 13 today. They are addicting!!! Just -Couldn't- Stop! 7 more and I have my Step 1 done. I wonder what Step 2 will be?? How many steps?

renita said...

Hi Karen, just getting a moment to write and let you know that I am joining the sew-along! I am so excited! I am hoping I can keep up with you guys. Regardless I will be here! Thanks so much for doing this! I have always wanted to make a quilt with houses on it and here you are with a manageable pattern that I don't have to go buy fabric for! Thanks!!!

Sherry said...

I wont be able to get to this right away, we have family coming to visit this week but I am very excited about this fun project. Thanks for sharing your talent with us.

sunny said...

I'm planning to get started today. Thanks for sharing!!

Tina Marie the Willow Witch said...

OH Boy! I have not done house blocks before, so here we go! Have scraps will sew....

Unknown said...

Kaaren....I plan to do your quilt but not til I go to Floridasoo will download each step and tuck it in my "goodies for Florida" bib! Looks like fun

Irene said...

I love house quilts and this one fits the bill for cute and for summer fun.
I've been working on Quilts for 5 of my great grandkids. The tops are finished and I finished machine quilting one of them. 3 to go I know that doesn't add up to 5. But one of the quilts is hand embroidered and requires hand quilting in the embroidered blocks. I did machine quilt all the straight lines using my trusty walking foot.
I'm also crocheting a little cardi for one of the older g greatgrand kids. She already has a quilt from me.
And I am almost finished puff puff puff with a crochet shawl for my granddaughter who is getting married in a park in Sept. So I thought it might get a little cool and wanted to surprise her.
WOW I think I need a funtime break and this darling house quilt will be aerfect Mystery" quilt.Offto my sewing room to choose fabrics from my stash of charm squares and fat quarters sew I can start cutting bright and early tomorrow morning when my husband leaves to play golf. I'll bet I can get the houses all sewed together by the time he gets home. Well that might be a little wishful thinking on my part. LOL

BatikPhoenix said...

Oh, count me in! Just got in my 20 Jul 15 email from Primitive Quilts & Projects & you were prominently featured, so I just HAD to check this out! Yay me!
And nice to meet you, Kaaren!

Lisa in Louisiana

Bleue de Lin said...

I am so happy to find this blog! Thank you very much for all these free projects . I will join you perhaps on this project but I have so other projects that I still hesitate (just a little:-). Meanwhile I subscribe to your newsletter.
Kisses from Belgium!